2010. november 29., hétfő

Being There

Alright, the film was what I call annoying. I understood the message, I appreciated the intention to be humorous at some points, but still, the whole film remained so pointless and the main character unbearable that it managed to get to my never again list.

So many questions arose already in the beginning about the character of Chance and his past and it made me try to figure him out so badly, that I couldn’t really focus on the sense of the film, I was looking forward too much to get some information about him. Any information. I mean I know it did not matter who he was and where did he come from, in our ridiculous word his story can happen. If you know the right man no one will dare to ask you the hell you are, and they are even more likely to assume your past being ‘canceled’ by FBI than considering you being practically nobody. But who was Chance the gardener? Who were his parents and what made the old man bring him up as a family gardener? How did it come that nobody discovered him existing, and later his mental defect? 

One more thing that gave me a really hard time was the ending scene, when he walks on the water while Ben’s funeral is going on in the background and Ben’s friends are discussing who to support for presidency. I guess his water-walk is a kind of symbol that he is considered as a redeemer in the situation ¬– personally for Eve, in business for Ben’s association, and for the country as he was thought to help out the President. I understand the idea, but don’t like it. I know people are blind and ask no questions, but still don’t like the idea.

The only refreshing thing in the film was Shirley MacLaine, who was nice to see, even if the ‘love scene’ was pathetic.

1 megjegyzés:

  1. All the questions are left unanswered, it's true. But I'm not sure if it wouldn't have distracted from the main message: our own lack of depth in not asking those very questions. (The doctor, you'll note, is the only one who does. Has to be at least one person so as to highlight the point).

    The walking-on-water part is also a bit weird. I guess it's meant to summarize the bizarreness of the entire concept behind the film, though some people claim it's a religious allusion. Or critique of religion. Even he seems a bit surprised that he is doing walking on water...

    VálaszTörlés